A clinic is a healthcare facility the place you obtain outpatient care.
There are various varieties of clinics. Some are stand-alone practices, whereas others could also be related to a hospital or college. You’ll be able to even discover some well being clinics inside a retail retailer.
The providers supplied by every sort of clinic can differ extensively, too. Some varieties of clinics supply a broad vary of healthcare providers whereas others present specialised care.
Under we’ll discover 10 several types of well being clinics, the providers they supply, and the right way to discover inexpensive care.
Probably the most in style varieties of clinics are these that concentrate on primary care. Main care clinics cowl a variety of routine and preventive healthcare providers, resembling:
The medical doctors you’ll see at a main care clinic follow normal medication of their area. This could embrace household medication, inner medication, or pediatrics.
Nevertheless, you might also meet with different varieties of healthcare professionals, resembling doctor assistants and nurse practitioners.
Moreover, some main care clinics could supply providers at low value or no value. These clinics could also be known as free or charitable clinics.
Whereas a main care clinic gives a broad vary of providers, a specialised clinic focuses on a selected space of medication. The suppliers in a specialised clinic could have particular coaching that focuses on medical fields resembling:
Specialised clinics are sometimes related to a healthcare system or hospital group, however they can be stand-alone practices.
Should you want care that solely a specialist can present, your main care supplier may give you a referral.
This kind of clinic has a selected deal with sexual and reproductive well being for each ladies and men. You’ll be able to go to a sexual well being clinic for a lot of varieties of providers, resembling:
- entry to contraceptive strategies, resembling condoms, oral contraceptives (contraception drugs), or intrauterine devices (IUDs)
- screening and therapy for sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- pelvic exams
- screening for some varieties of cancers, resembling cervical cancer, breast cancer, and testicular cancer
- pregnancy testing and prenatal exams
- vaccinations for ailments like HPV or hepatitis B
- HIV providers, together with testing, treatment, and entry to preventive medicines (PrEP and PEP)
- assist with males’s well being situations, like erectile dysfunction or premature ejaculation
- infertility counseling or referrals
- abortion providers or referrals
- recommendation concerning adoption
- counseling following sexual assault
It’s essential to notice that the varieties of providers which are supplied can differ by clinic.
Should you’re searching for a selected sort of service, contact a clinic straight to seek out out whether or not they supply the kind of care you’re searching for.
Should you’re involved about your psychological well being, one of these clinic might be able to present the therapy and providers you want.
The healthcare suppliers who work at a psychological well being clinic are targeted on serving to diagnose and deal with many varieties of mental health conditions. Some examples of those situations embrace however aren’t restricted to:
Some healthcare providers chances are you’ll are available contact with at a psychological well being clinic embrace psychiatrists, psychologists, and social staff. The providers they supply could embrace:
- analysis of psychological well being situations
- outpatient counseling, which might happen in a person, group, or household setting
- prescription medicines to assist handle psychological well being situations
- case administration providers
- supportive providers, resembling assist with managing medicines or creating a help community
These kind of clinics present outpatient providers to people who’re recovering from a substance use dysfunction.
Usually talking, outpatient dependancy providers clinics are greatest geared towards individuals who have:
- a secure dwelling surroundings
- a robust social help community
- dependable transportation
A key focus of an dependancy providers clinic is group counseling. Counseling periods are sometimes held a number of occasions per week. Different providers which may be offered embrace:
- drug and alcohol schooling
- therapy of different medical or psychological well being situations
- assist with rising your help community or returning to the workforce
A group well being middle is a kind of clinic that’s community-directed and supported by federal funding. They’re aimed toward serving communities that will not have entry to inexpensive healthcare.
To obtain federal funding, a group well being middle should meet the next 5 standards:
- supply healthcare providers inside an space or group that’s categorized as medically underserved
- present complete main care at the side of supportive providers like well being schooling and translation
- modify the prices of providers based mostly on a person’s skill to pay
- be directed by a board that’s predominantly made from group members
- meet extra necessities associated to efficiency, funds, and administration
Along with main care, different providers will be built-in right into a group well being middle. Some examples embrace:
- dental care
- psychological healthcare
- therapy or counseling for substance use problems
Retail clinics are situated inside retail shops. It’s estimated that there are greater than 2,800 retail clinics all through the USA. You might discover retail clinics inside:
- drugstores or pharmacies, like Walgreens, CVS, or Ceremony Support
- “large field” retailers, like Walmart or Goal
- some grocery store chains, like Kroger, Large Eagle, or ShopRite
Retail clinics usually settle for walk-ins. Their healthcare employees is commonly made up of doctor assistants or nurse practitioners.
Retail clinics supply handy, same-day take care of minor sicknesses and healthcare wants for each adults and kids. These clinics will be useful when you could have a minor well being difficulty and don’t need to wait a number of days to get an appointment along with your main care supplier.
Among the providers supplied at a retail clinic could embrace:
- therapy for minor sicknesses, resembling:
- ear ache
- bug bites
- minor cuts or wounds
- primary laboratory testing
- routine well being screenings
In lots of circumstances, pricing at a retail clinic is standardized, so you could have a good suggestion of what to anticipate so far as value is worried.
Some clinics might also take non-public insurance coverage or Medicare.
Rural well being clinics serve individuals who have Medicare, Medicaid, or non-public insurance coverage. The objective of the agricultural well being clinic program is to supply higher entry to care in rural, underserved communities.
The Facilities for Medicare and Medicaid Companies (CMS) estimates that there are about 4,500 rural well being clinics in the USA.
Rural well being clinics present medically essential main or preventive care. A service is taken into account medically essential if it’s required to both diagnose or deal with an sickness or situation.
If the clinic doesn’t supply a selected service, the clinic employees might be able to prepare so that you can obtain medically essential care at a hospital or specialised clinic.
These clinics are usually staffed by the next varieties of healthcare professionals:
- medical doctors
- physicians assistants
- nurse practitioners
- licensed nurse-midwives
- scientific psychologists
- scientific social staff
A dialysis clinic is a selected sort of clinic that gives dialysis to folks with kidney failure. Dialysis is a process that helps filter waste and different doubtlessly dangerous substances out of your blood.
Whereas some folks could select to have dialysis at house, there are some benefits of going to a dialysis clinic. As an illustration, when dialysis is completed at a clinic:
- The process is supervised by skilled medical professionals.
- You don’t have to hold dialysis gear in your house.
- You get the prospect to work together with others who’re present process the identical process.
There are additionally downsides to going to a dialysis clinic. Among the drawbacks embrace:
- much less versatile scheduling
- having to journey to the clinic
- extra time between remedies
Should you want dialysis to deal with kidney failure, remember to discuss to your physician about which therapy choice could also be greatest suited to you and your wants.
A cellular clinic is a custom-made car that travels to totally different areas to supply medical providers. It’s estimated that there are at present round 2,000 cellular well being clinics in the USA.
Cellular clinics are a worthwhile instrument for offering important providers to communities with boundaries to healthcare entry, resembling:
- lack of dependable transportation
- monetary issues concerning healthcare
- little or no medical insurance
- restricted healthcare suppliers within the space
- language or cultural boundaries
Whereas cellular clinics usually present main or preventive care, they will additionally present different providers, resembling:
- urgent care
- pediatric care
- psychological well being providers
- dental care
- listening to and imaginative and prescient providers
- administration of continual well being situations
Should you’re involved about the price of receiving healthcare providers at a clinic, chances are you’ll need to think about trying out the next assets.
Low- or no-cost clinics
- Neighborhood well being facilities. These clinics scale the price of care based mostly in your skill to pay. You could find one in your space by utilizing the Well being Assets and Companies Administration search tool.
- Cellular clinics. Cellular clinics assist present underserved communities with entry to inexpensive healthcare. You could find one close to you by utilizing the Cellular Well being Map search tool.
- Free and charitable clinics. Some clinics could supply main care at low value or no value. The Nationwide Affiliation of Free and Charitable Clinics web site has a search tool that can assist you discover a free or charitable clinic near you.
There are various varieties of well being clinics that present outpatient care. Many clinics present routine medical and preventive care, whereas others deal with particular varieties of care. Some examples embrace specialised clinics, sexual well being clinics, and psychological well being clinics.
Some varieties of clinics deal with offering main and preventive care to underserved communities. Examples of those can embrace group well being facilities, rural well being clinics, and cellular clinics. You should utilize on-line search instruments to seek out one close to you.